Level: MQF Level 4
Course Duration: 4 Semesters (including 2 semesters International Placement)
In this course students exposed to both theoretical and practical aspects of the industry. The course emphasises on the classical cookery school, coupled with supervisory skills.
This programme of study includes:
- Hospitality & Tourism English
- Communication Skills – Presentation Skill / Public Speaking
- Pastry & Baking Practical
- Kitchen & Larder Practical
- Kitchen and Larder Individual
- The Theory of Kitchen & Larder
- The Theory of Pastry & Baking
- International/Maltese Gastronomy
- Business Development and Entrepreneurship
- Pastry & Baking Individual
- Introduction to Marketing
- Food Hygiene and Introduction to HACCP
Key Learning Outcomes
- Maintain health and safety practices in a kitchen environment and be able to follow and carry out the necessary Hygiene & Safety procedures.
- Prepare and produce dishes at the right temperature, using well-balanced ingredients and served to the exact consistency.
- Prepare a selection of cold and hot food, sauces, desserts and baked products including bread.
- Implement recipe costing and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Practice and offer a variety of complex and creative hot and cold dishes, desserts, ice carvings, centre-pieces and baked products to include bread.
- Reach a holistic understanding and be able to produce various national and ethnic cuisines.
Successful completion of Programme 6, Part 1 – Certificate in Food & Beverage Service (MQF Level 3)
Fields of Work
Bakeries & Confectionaries
Further Study Options
Programme 6 - Part 3 Higher National Diploma in Food Preparation & Production Management (MQF Level 5),
Programme 7 Higher National Diploma in Hospitality Management (MQF Level 5),
Programme 8 Higher National Diploma in Tour Guiding (MQF Level 5)