Level MQF Level 5
Course Duration: 4 Semesters
This programme of studies is intended for those who aim to become a licensed tourist guide for Malta. During the first year of the study programme, students will obtain general knowledge and good practices to work in the highly interesting Travel sector of the Hospitality Industry. During the second year of the study programme, students will acquire further knowledge, skills and competencies to become a licensed tourist guide.
This programme of study includes:
- English Language
- A choice of one foreign language (French, Spanish, German, Italian)
- Field studies and visits
- Guiding techniques
- History of Art and Architecture
- Prehistoric Sites
- History of Malta
- Niche Tourism
- Museums and Collections
- Walled Cities
- Modern European History
- Mediterranean Studies
Key Learning Outcomes
Understand the role of the tourist guide and manage the complex concepts of well organised tours.
Be creative in the design and management of historical and thematic tours.
Evaluate and anticipate customer expectations during the implementation process of tour guiding.
Understand and explain the detailed historical and cultural content of various itineraries and sites.
Manage small tour groups and ensure safety and customer satisfaction at all times.
Matriculation Certificate (2 A Level subjects, 3 Intermediate Level subjects and Systems of Knowledge)
Secondary Education Certificate passes at grade 5 or better (SSC&P level 3) in Maltese, English and Mathematics
Successful completion of ITS Diploma (MQF Level 4), listed below:
- Programme 2 - Part 2 Diploma in Travel & Tourism Operations
- Programme 3 - Part 2 Diploma in Rooms Division Operations
- Programme 4 - Part 2 Diploma in Events & Leisure Operations
- Programme 5 - Part 2 Diploma in Food & Beverage Service Operations
- Programme 6 - Part 2 Diploma in Food Preparation & Production Operations
Minimum Age: 17 years (as at 31st December of the year application is submitted)
Fields of Work
Freelance Tourist Guide
Guiding in Museums and
Tourist Information Centres