The Role of Licensed Tourist Guides within the Tourism Sector Today
6th International Research Forum for Guided Tours
20-23 March 2019
Institute of Tourism Studies, Malta
The 6th International Research Forum for Guided Tours (6th IRFGT) aims to discuss a number of issues pertaining to the operation of Tourist Guides and their role within the tourism industry.
Specific questions which are core to the Tourist Guiding international discourse will be addressed, e.g. :
- ‘How can tourist guides prepare themselves to provide the best service, both from a formal learning point of view as well as for continuous professional development?’;
- ‘How can tourist guide contribute towards tourism policy-making?’; ‘Are tourist guides being involved and consulted by governments in large scale tourism projects?’;
- ‘Are tourist guide considerate of new tourism products?’;
- ‘How can the employment situation of tourist guide improve?’.
Established academics, practitioners, early career scholars and research students are invited to submit paper proposals based on these research questions which will subdivided into the tracks listed below.
TRACK 1 – Tourist guiding and employability:
- Occupational rights of tourist guides and employment stability;
- Tourist Guiding as an academic programme of study;
- Tourist guides’ continuous professional development.
TRACK 2 – Tourist guides’ contribution towards Responsible Tourism:
- The relationship between tourist guides and host communities;
- The contribution of tourist guides towards the natural environment;
- Tourist guiding and Accessible Tourism.
- Ethics and professionalism in tourist guiding;
TRACK 3 – Synergies between professions: Tourist guides and Cultural Heritage Managers
- Best practices in tourist guiding;
- Sustainability of tourist guiding.
TRACK 4 – Tourist guides as catalysts to the rise of Experiential tourism
- Providing meaningful guiding to enhance the tourists’ experience;
- Tourist guides’ knowledge and skills in experiential tourism.
- The impacts of Mass Tourism on tourist guiding operations.
Information on the Conference Technical Committee:
The committee consists of the following members:
Dr Glen Farrugia
Scientific Committee Members:
Prof. Dr. Xerardo Pereiro
Prof. Dr. Reidar J. Mykletun
Dr. Hugues Seraphin
Prof. Dr. Abdelkader Ababneh
Dr. Areej Aloudat
Senior Academic Consultants
Dr. Noel Buttigieg
Mr Vincent Zammit
Ms Ruth Azzopardi
Registration closes on Friday 22nd February 2019
Pricing for Conference: